Wednesday 23 May 2012

This week: National Vegetarian Week


As a vegetarian, it seems only right that I remind you or inform you that we are in the middle of National Vegetarian Week. Here's what's on the menu this week in my home and below are three quick summer salad ideas:
  • Monday: Veggie lasagne (included courgette, spinach, peppers)
  • Tuesday: Rice salad (with mixed beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, tomato, cheese)
  • Wednesday: Broccoli and sweetcorn quiche with sautéed potatoes
  • Thursday: Butternut squash risotto
  • Friday: Stuffed peppers with new potatoes & green salad
Three simple summer salads

Roasted butternut squash, puy lentil and feta cheese - having roasted cubed squash, cooked and cooled your puy lentils, combine with cubed feta and a basic oilve oil vinegrette.

Celery and apple - chop both into very small chunks and mix together with a spoonful of mayonaise.

Carrot and beetroot - I don't like beetroot but I like this salad. Grate both finely, (best to use a grater on a food mixer for speed and ease) combine and stir in some honey mustard vinegrette.

Do you eat vegetarian meals much at home? Are there any vegetarian dishes you particularly enjoy?
---
photo credit

2 comments:

  1. Ooh is it? I am a huge fan of Vegetarian cooking, even though I eat meat. I did have a Veggie spell for a couple of years but that was in my teens when I really didn't like vegetables (uh) - now I love them. My husband always complains when there's no meat (in a humorous way) but always really enjoys the meals.

    Classics like cauliflower and broccoli cheese gratin is always a favourite, as it curry of course. There's an side dish I learned from this French girl years ago that is always a winner - courgette boats: courgettes hollowed out then the courgette chopped up and mixed with onions, tomato puree, herbs and seasoning and topped with cheese (I like goats cheese) before baking. Goes with anything!

    Might have to go to the greengrocers now! :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing some of your veggie favourites and the courgette boats sound yummy!

      Delete

Thank you for reading. I'd love to have your comments and thoughts!